Last updated August 22, 2019
What Types of Information Does Starbucks Collect?
Personal information which identifies you, either directly or indirectly, as an individual (the "Personal Information") that may be collected by Starbucks may include:
- Name, postal address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Financial account information, such as credit card number and other payment information.
We may also collect information about you such as:
- If you create an account - your username, password, your city of birth, your birthday, gender, nationality and mobile phone number.
- If you buy goods at our stores or through our programs or otherwise – how much you buy, where you buy, how frequently you buy, rewards you earn, and reward you redeem.
- If you register any Starbucks Card – the card number, card transactions, including activating the Starbucks Card, loading value to the Starbucks Card, redeeming any value, balance transfer, balance enquiries.
- If you take a survey or interact with us in various other ways - demographics information, your comments, feedback, questions or suggestions, and information about subjects that may interest you.
Starbucks may also collect aggregated data or anonymized data that does not directly identify you.
We may combine information we collect about you with information we receive from third parties.
In some instances, Starbucks may combine other information with Personal Information. If other information is combined with Personal Information or if other information is used to identify an individual, such information will be treated by us as Personal Information.
How Does Starbucks Use Information About You?
- Process and manage your purchase and use of Starbucks products and services, including your accounts and program participation, your use of the Sites.
- Respond to your customer service inquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on our Sites, or take other actions in response to your inquiries or other Site activities.
- Create personalized promotions by combining your Personal Information with non-personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through our programs.
- Communicate with you by post, telephone, email and SMS about your orders or purchases, your services, accounts and program participation, a contest or sweepstakes you have entered, and your requests for information.
- Communicate with you by post, telephone, email and SMS about our brands, products, events or other promotional purposes, including co-branded offers and affiliate and partner offers.
- Request feedback or participation in surveys, conduct market research and/or analysis for statistical, profiling or other purposes for us to review, develop and improve the quality of our Services, and test and improve our systems, and prevent the misuse or improper use of our Services.
Does Starbucks Share Personal Information with Third Parties?
Starbucks shares your Personal Information in limited ways.
- We may share your Personal Information with others with your consent.
- We may share your Personal Information with our parent and other affiliated companies.
- We may also share your Personal Information with companies that provide support services to us (such as credit card processors or other payment services providers, mailing houses or website hosts) and that help us market our products and services (such as email vendors). These companies may use your Personal Information to perform their functions on our behalf.
- If you participate in any blog or other online forum on our Sites, any Personal Information that you post on our Sites may be shared with other forum participants and Site visitors.
- In the event of a merger, acquisition, financing, or sale of assets or any other situation involving the transfer of some or all of our business assets, Starbucks may disclose your Personal Information to those involved in the negotiation or transfer.
Do we transfer your Personal Information outside Thailand?
We may transfer your Personal Information to the countries outside of Thailand to our parent and other affiliated companies and our third party service providers as part of our normal business operations to perform our Services (i.e., our IT service provider), that from the standpoint of the data protection supervisory authority in Thailand, may not have an "adequate standard of personal data protection" as specified by the data protection supervisory authority in Thailand if and when the applicable Thai data protection law enters into force.
How long we retain your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information collected, used, or disclosed for the purposes hereunder will be stored only to the extent necessary during the term of your participation in the Services with us, or for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this, including during a transition period (e.g. for the compliance of our obligations regarding data retention as established in applicable laws), if any.
In principle we will retain your Personal Information as long as required or permitted by applicable law. Afterwards, we will remove your Personal Information from our systems and records and/or take steps to properly anonymize it so that you can no longer be identified from it.
What Are Your Statutory Rights and What Choices Does Starbucks Offer About Personal Information?
If and when the applicable personal data protection law becomes in effect and enforced in Thailand, you have the following rights under the conditions set out under applicable law pursuant to the conditions and requirements set forth thereunder
- Right of access: You have the right to obtain from us the access to your Personal Information under our responsibility, or request that we disclose how your Personal Information is obtained without your consent. You have the right to obtain a copy of your Personal Information undergoing collecting, using, or disclosing. For additional copies requested by you, we may charge a reasonable fee based on administrative costs as permitted by applicable law.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to obtain from us the rectification of your inaccurate Personal Information to be accurate, up-to-date, completed, and not misleading.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to ask us to erase, destroy or temporarily suspend the use of your Personal Information, or convert your Personal Information into data which cannot identify you, provided that we fail to comply with the compliance obligations under the applicable law, if any.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive your Personal Information which you have provided to us in a commonly used and machine-readable format and your Personal Information can be used or disclosed by automatic means, unless it is impossible by technical circumstances. You also have the right to request us to directly send or transfer your Personal Information in such formats to other data controller if it can be done by the automatic mean.
- Right to object: You have the right to object to collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, which is carried out to protect our legitimate interests or for performance of tasks in the public interest, at any time, in accordance with the statutory provisions. If you file an objection, we will continue to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information only if we can document mandatory and legitimate reasons that outweigh your interests, rights and freedoms, or if collection, use or disclosure is for the assertion, exercise or defense of legal claims, as may be applicable.
- Right to withdraw consent: If you have consented to collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information by us, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, unless the right is restricted on account of law or a contract which is beneficial to you, or Personal Information must be kept for verification or examination, freedom of expression, public health, scientific or historical research or compliance with applicable laws.
- Right to file a complaint: You have the right to file a compliant with the responsible data protection supervisory authority, if you believe that the collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information is in breach of legal requirements under the applicable law.
Please note that the aforementioned rights might be limited under the applicable national data protection law. We remain the universal point of contact for your execution of these rights.
Starbucks offers choices for you to request to update or change your Personal Information and how we communicate with you. Follow the opt-out instructions in promotional emails we send you.
If you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us, we may still send you non-promotional communications such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
You can usually choose to set your browser to warn you when a cookie is being sent or to remove or reject cookies. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings. If you choose to remove or reject cookies, it will affect many features or Services on our Sites.
How is Personal Information Secured?
Starbucks takes reasonable steps to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security to help prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of personal information.
While we take these reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal information, no system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Questions and Feedback
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy. You may contact us by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 02-339-0996 (Our Thailand Customer Care Team staff will be available Mondays to Sunday, 9am to 6pm, except public holidays).
If and when the applicable personal data protection law becomes in effect and enforced in Thailand, and if you wish to exercise your data subject rights, please address your request to us and/or our data protection officer, who can be contacted at the available contact channel which we will inform you when the applicable personal data protection law becomes in effect and enforced in Thailand.
Starbucks Coffee (Thailand) Co. Ltd.
12th, 16th floors, Exchange Tower, 388 Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110 Thailand